To apply for or renew a driver’s license, or to change the local address on the license, the following documents must be presented to the SC Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

Student Visa Holders:

Passport, visa and I-94 card

Letter from CIU verifying enrollment and which lists student’s current local address
Social Security card or letter from the Social Security Administration indicating the applicant is not eligible for a Social Security Number. 
Spouse/Dependent Child of Student Visa Holders:
Passport, visa, and I-94 card


Letter from CIU verifying enrollment for the F-1 student and which lists the student’s current enrollment at CIU.

Certificate of Identification of spousal relationship and current local address

Social Security card or Letter from Social Security Administration stating that individual is NOT eligible for a Social Security Number (can only be issued with presentation of previous 4 documents).

Local DMV Locations:
1630 Shop Road
Columbia, SC 29202
(803) 737-8350

1016 Broadstone Road
Irmo, SC 29063
(803) 749-9041

International Drivers License Procedures Check List

To apply for a South Carolina credential, all International customers who are not US citizens must provide the following each time they apply for an original, renewal or duplicate credential: 
       Proof of Identity (SC Code Section 56-1-80 and 56-1-90(2))
       Proof of Date and Place of birth (SC Code Section 56-1-80 and 56-1-90(2))
       Current authorization to live, work or study in the U.S. (SC Code Section 56-1-40(7) and 56-1-80)
       Social Security Card or Letter from the Social Security Administration stating that the applicant is not allowed to work in the United States (SC Code Section 56-1-90) 
       Proof of SC residency (SC Code Section 56-1-40(7) and Section 56-1-80(3))
       Automobile liability insurance information (if applying for a driver’s license) (SC Code Section 56-1-80(C))

At the time of application, all applicants must provide proper documentation to prove that the US Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security, Department of State or the US Citizenship and Immigration Services authorizes them to live, work or study in the United States on a temporary or permanent basis, and that they are within their current authorized period of stay, depending on current immigration and visa status.

If your documents are not in English, a qualified translator must translate them and the translated documents presented must be original. A qualified translator is a person who routinely translates documents from another language into English as part of his or her work responsibilities.  Examples of a qualified translator include:  professor or instructor at an area college, university or high school who is authorized to teach a specific language; a person from a company or corporation who is authorized to translate corporate documents by the company; a translator certified to do translations professionally.


More information can be found at the Department of Motor Vehicle website.